Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Sisters Crazy Wedding Day

This is what my sister Dana wrote about my sister Laurens wedding fiasco on her blog. I am stealing it so I dont have to write it all out too. I think she says it best when she says "This will definitely be a wedding to remember."

This will definitely be a wedding to remember. It all started when me, Marsh, my
sister Shawneen and her husband Ben get to the temple. Our cousins said "Did you hear what happened?" We thought they were kidding and said things like "they eloped", "the bride ran away", etc. Then they told us that Lauren and Phil had forgotten to get the marriage license. The wedding is off. So my dad, Phil and Lauren were driving around Phoenix trying to find a courthouse that was open on Saturday. No luck. Everybody that had showed up to the temple starting calling all the "big-wigs" they know (congressmen, judges, lawyers, etc.). Again, no luck. Finally, my dad called a lawyer in the ward and they were able to get a hold of a Justice of the Peace. They went to his house and he signed a temporary paper and put the official seal on it. So we're all at the temple waiting and they show up with the document. The Wedding is back on! Then the temple president tells us he needs to makes some calls to make sure this paper is legit. He talked to the Office of the First Presidency, the state, and who knows who else. Final word from the Church....."The wedding is off!!!!" Lauren was heart broken. She was bawling and her makeup was everywhere. We had done everything we could do. So everyone who was at the temple, like 50 people headed over to the luncheon after like 3 hours of waiting on word of whether or not they were getting married. While heading to the luncheon my dad got a call from BJ, Phils best friend, who had gotten married a week before to Laurens best friend. He remembered that the clerk who signed his marriage license a week before was lds and that he said he was married in the temple a year before. He thought that maybe if he could get his name he could call him and and see if he could get them a marriage license. So he called his land lord in Idaho to drive a half hour to his apartment and get into his house, find his marriage license, get the name for him so he could look him up. So thats what he did. BJ looked up this guy and he ended up having one at his house. He said he was the only clerk in AZ that is aloud to have them at his house WOW. He lived an hour and a half away and so he met my dad, Lauren, and Phil half way. The wedding was on! They missed there luncheon and after all the guest hurried and ate, we all rushed back to the temple and they were married around 4 o'clock. They were supposed to be married around 11. My dad was so greatfull for BJ. He was so stressed and Lauren and Phil would have missed there honeymoon and would have had to get married tuesday because of presidents day on Monday. So our family totally witnessed a miracle and all the prayers that day at the temple by all the guests were truly answered. We were so lucky that BJ's landlord was home and able to make the trip to BJ's apartment, that the wonderful lds clerk was home and able to make the trip. Heavenly Father totally didn't have to do that for us, she could have gotten married on tuesday. It was there fault for not remembering a marriage license. But he provided a way for Lauren and Phil to be sealed for time and all eternity. We have the greatest friends and relatives who stuck around all day with us waiting and waiting for answers and we are greatfull for them and there prayers.
The reception was wonderful and all was well after that. I will post some pics soon of this stressfull day.

4 comments:

Cowan Family said...

How sad is that. I remember when I was getting married if nobody told me about getting a license I would'nt have had a clue you needed one. That is so great that everything worked out okay though. Cute dresses all the girls had on Sunday. I'm guessing they are from the wedding.

Halvos said...

OH MY GOSH!! As if your wedding day isn't stressful enough! That is hilarious! They'll never forget that day for sure! What a blessing they were able to make it work! I'm sure your mom was not so happy about it! I know my mom AND my mother-in-law would have been so ticked after all the work gone into everything! Wow...

Lara said...

wow!!! I have a major headache now! I would have been a stress case! gld things worked out. and that babe of yours gets prettier every time i see her.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! That is the best wedding story I've ever heard. I bet they are SO glad everything worked out.