So a couple of weeks ago I had this totally amazing idea to go camping. It had been really hot the two previous weekends, so I thought now would be a great time to get out with the kids. We found out the day before the weather might not be in our favor, but how bad could it be, right? Very Bad! Most of the camp sites were closed until April, but we were determined. The first thing Alivia said to me when we got out of the truck was how she just wanted to go home. I thought lets just get the fire going, which was a vast improvement when the smoke was not in mine or my kids eyes. I have to admit it was nice getting out into nature and enjoying our hot dogs and s'mores by the fire, but soon it was time for bed. Alivia went down OK, and I thought would sleep through the night until she woke up freezing at 2am. I, by that time had crawled into Bens sleeping bag, because Mia was hogging mine, and if I moved an inch she would wake up crying. So Alivia wakes up, which wakes Mia up, Ben and I were never asleep, so he takes Mia out by the fire to try to warm her up and Liv gets in with me, in a sleeping bag that we were still freezing in. Meanwhile, Dana, and my niece Hannah and the whimpering dogs moved into the van and were turning it on and off just to keep warm. Marshal and Ben were almost on top of the fire trying to keep warm, while Lexi my other niece slept with like 3 sleeping bags on her. The only one that slept that night was my Dad who was sleeping like a baby in the back of his truck. He wasn't even fazed when Dana accidentally started her car alarm, waking up the whole forest. Not like the crying babies hadn't done that already. The next morning Dana said that it had registered 20 degrees on her car. What were we thinking! I don't know, but at least we will never forget it. That's got to be worth something.
Mia was starving before dinner, I kept finding her with these bagels.
If she wasn't scavenging for food, she was constantly getting stuck in the chairs.
Notice the smoke

Grandpy and the girls starting the fire.
My mountain man Ben setting up the tent.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
All in the Name of Making Memories
Posted by Shawneen at 2:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Haha I kinda wish we could have been there. I love how your kids are smiling in like every picture even though they have no idea they're going to freeze their little booties off.
oh man... making memories, you will never forget this trip. We had a similar one at Tangle Lakes years ago when Nolan was four months old... Two hours after bedding everyone down in our tent, I moved into the van with the baby (too cold and too rainy). The rest of the group soon followed and by 7 a.m. we bagged the camping trip and were on the road headed to Anchorage and my Mom's hot tub. Upon arriving home, we bought an old camper (built in the 1950's), it totally changed out camping experiences... you guys are GREAT parents!
PS: if I were there, I would make you a plate of cupcakes.
Boy, I am so glad I did not go on that trip!! ..:)
Post a Comment